Organizing your new home
Use these simple storage and organization tips for a more spacious and relaxing home.
- Set up 3-4 heavy-duty shelving units.
- Sort them into large heavy-duty plastic bins and label them. You’ll save yourself the time of having to go back and reorganize later.
- Now, is also a good time to set up a storage unit that lifts items up to the ceiling. It’s a great way to keep items out of the way but allow easy access when you need seasonal decorations and items you don’t use more than once a year.
- A ceiling lift or heavy-duty hooks you can install into the ceiling joists are also a good way to store bicycles or large sporting equipment up and out of the way.
- Add shelving and space to hang clothes so you have a place for detergent, fabric softener, cleaners, garbage bags, paper products and more.
- Hang hooks or organizer strips to keep long-handled cleaning supplies like brooms and mops organized.
- Install closet organizers. You’ll create more space to unpack your belongings and it will speed up unpacking and settling in if you can organize as you go.
- Look for shelves and drawer organizers that will help you gain more space in your vanity, above the toilet or in the linen closet.