Protect Your Home: 10 Fire Safety Tips You Need to Know
Fire Prevention Month is here, and it's a crucial time to remind ourselves of the importance of fire safety. The numbers are alarming: over 13,000 fire incidents in the Philippines in 2022 alone*, resulting in devastating consequences. But there's hope. By taking proactive measures, we can safeguard our families and property from fire hazards.
From installing smoke detectors to keeping flammable liquids secure, here are 10 tips to keep your homes safe from fire:
- Install Smoke Detectors - Smoke detectors are essential tools for early fire detection. Install them in every room of your house, especially in the kitchen, bedroom, and living room. Smoke detectors can give you the necessary time to evacuate your home before the fire spreads.
- Check Electrical Wiring - Inspect your electrical wiring and appliances for damage, fraying, or loose connections. Overloading electrical outlets is also a common cause of fires. Avoid using multiple appliances with high-wattage on the same outlet.
- Practice Kitchen Safety - Cooking is one of the leading causes of residential fires in the Philippines. Be sure to keep flammable objects such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, and paper towels away from the stove. Always turn off the stove and oven when you're done cooking, and never leave the kitchen while the stove is on.
- Use Fire Extinguishers - Fire extinguishers can help contain small fires before they get out of control. Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, bedroom, and living room, and make sure everyone in the house knows how to use them. Start preparing now by getting your fire extinguishers at the nearest ACE Hardware Store.
- Have an Evacuation Plan - In case of a fire, have an evacuation plan in place. Identify the safest and quickest exit route and make sure everyone in the house knows it. Practice your evacuation plan regularly and make sure your family members can escape in less than two minutes.
- Don't Smoke Inside the House - Cigarettes are one of the leading causes of residential fires in the Philippines. If you smoke, do it outside, away from any flammable materials. Always dispose of cigarettes properly and make sure they're fully extinguished.
- Keep Flammable Liquids Secure - Gasoline, kerosene, and other flammable liquids should be kept in a secure and well-ventilated area. Keep them away from heat sources and open flames.
- Educate Children About Fire Safety - Teach children about fire safety at an early age. Guide them on what to do in case of a fire and explain the dangers of playing with matches or lighters.
- Keep a Clear Space Around Electrical Panels - Electrical panels are another common cause of house fires. Make sure there's at least a three-foot clearance** around them and keep them free from clutter.
Don't Leave Candles Unattended - Candles may provide a relaxing atmosphere but they're also a fire hazard. Never leave candles unattended and keep them away from flammable objects such as curtains, paper, and books.
Let's make fire safety a priority not just this month but every day. By following these tips and staying vigilant, we can prevent fires from happening and keep our homes safe. Remember, it's not just about checking items off a list but being mindful of the dangers around us and taking action to minimize them.
For more fire safety tips and updates, follow ACE Hardware on social media and sign up for our newsletter. Together, let's create a safer environment for ourselves and our loved ones!