Garden month: Must have garden tools
Planning on becoming a plantito or plantita? Make sure you have the basic arsenal for your gardening success.
- Hand Cultivator – used to till the soil or dig the soil and remove weeds by hand. It is very useful especially for small gardening activities.
- Hand Fork – almost similar to the hand cultivator but thicker, it is also used to loosen hardened soil.
- Hand Transplanter – used for transplanting small plants or plants with small roots to pots.
- Hand Trowel – an all-around tool for digging and planting with a rounded or pointed end.
- Hand Weeder – used to remove weeds on the ground and for uprooting plants or grass.
- Pruning Shears / Scissors – used to concentrate nutrients in certain section of plants through the removal (cutting) of excess growths like old leaves and branches.
Prune all lateral vines when about one foot long and remove old leaves from the base up to one m above so that the nutrients are concentrated on the fruiting branches.